Re: Using Shutdown Immediate

From: Lee Parsons <lparsons_at_eskimo.com>
Date: 1995/08/16

Matt Myers <mmyers_at_plano.net> wrote:

>In the "Oracle Backup & Recovery Handbook" by Rama Velpuri(pg 30),

 [...]
>As most of us know, the Oracle manuals can leave things to be either a
>little bit vague or slanted toward the cautious side. The book quoted
>above draws upon the knowledge and experience of several people within
>Oracle itself.

I notice that the V6 Admin guide states that "A startup after a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE does not require instance recovery (rollforward and rollback)"

This sez to me that somebody went out of thier way to put the new describtion in for V7. It doesn't seem to be just a case of being vague or cautious. Perhaps Rama was relying on V6 information when he wrote the section about shutdown immediate (I doubt this is the case but we have to consider it since his describtion seems to match the old manual)

How do we get an authorative answer or test emperically? I have tried shutting down a database during after a mass delete and before a comment. The database seems to do a full rollback and doesn't seem to do anything extra on start up. This would lead me to believe the Handbook, but my test doesn't prove that there isn't SOME case where recovery would need to be done on startup. Anybody got a more comprehensive test in mind?

Can somebody log the discripancy between the Guide and the Handbook as a documentation bug and report the response? (they are both Oracle manuals) Or use the above test to report a RDBMS bug (DB behavior doesn't match the Manual). I dont have access to support right now.

Thomas can you forward Rama this thread? Maybe he can clue us in on why he made such a definative statment in the Handbook.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons                  		lparsons_at_world.std.com