Re: using host arrays in PRO*C

From: Shneor Berezin <sber_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1995/08/15

Thank you for replying to my post at comp.databases.oracle.

Frankly, my post was intentionally offensive, I was trying to trigger a response from somebody knowledgeable at Oracle, because I could not get any intelligent answers from the technical support.

According to the PRO*C manual page 192 declaring host arrays in Declare Section is required only if MODE=ANSI.

The following fragment
void test()
{
  int arr[100];

  EXEC SQL DELETE FROM compounds WHERE ckey = :arr; }
compiled in PRO*C does not have 100 assigned to anything in the generated code. Based on your email, I know now, that it will delete only one row, since sqlstm.iters = 1.

The rest of your response is almost as unreasonable and offensive as my original post. Using C was not my decision and actually we are using C++, but PRO*C 2.0, does not support C++, so I had to write the interface in C. Loss of support of C++ in PRO*C 2.0 comparing to 1.7 is not something Oracle should be proud of.

FYI, there is an unreliable way of determining the size of an array on the heap, the standard UNIX V malloc stores the size in the word just above the segment.

Thanks again,
Shneor Berezin, SMTS, Molecular Simulations Inc., shneor_at_ba.msi.com Received on Tue Aug 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message