Re: Oracle for MS Windows

From: <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1995/08/11

In article <DD3v1G.Knq_at_ns1.nodak.edu>, barua_at_plains.NoDak.edu (Soumen Barua) wrote:

> I am trying to find out what Oracle products are available running under
> Microsft's windows platform. I have personally and on the job used some
> products which primarily runs on HP unix machine. Moreover, I like to
> develop softwares for Windows platform since I am very familiar with
> Visual Basic programming. As far as Database packages are concerned, I
> have used Access, PowerBuilder etc. Anyway, my question is, what Oracle
> products are going to be available in near future running in windows ?
> How about Oracle Financials ? When are they going to release the complete
> package and not the separate modules ? How about other products, such as
> Oracle Forms 4.0 etc ?
> Besides, what are the prices of those products ? I know there is an Oracle
> site but I don't want to go through all the marketing hype.
> Anyway, thanks for any input. Email will be much appreciated. You may post
> here as well.
> Bye,
> Soumen

Soumen,

Marketing hype, eh? You might want to reconsider. There is alot of good technical information on that site too. The beauty of html is you can ignore the hype and look for the pearls.

Oracle7, personal edition, is a scaled down version of the Oracle7 we all know and love. It does not include replication, parallel database, etc. It is a single user database that can run under 8 meg (I think) according to the hype, but I wouldn't try it without 16 meg.

Oracle7, enterprise edition, is personal edition, with the ability to have database links OUT of Windows to another database, but not BACK to Windows.

Developer2000 is Oracle Forms 4.5, Oracle Graphics 2.0 (or is it 2.5), Oracle Reports 2.5, Oracle Data Query, SQL*Plus 3.1, and Procedure Builder. These tools can run against a local (Windows Oracle) database, or run against its bigger brothers on the mini and mainframe machines. For that matter, they can run against other databases too (like MS Access, DB2, SYBASE, etc).

Developer2000 also includes the client portion of SQL*Net V 2 and a couple of the network transport drivers.

Designer2000 is the Case tool, the generators, etc.

Oracle Power Objects Personal Edition and Network Edition is a new object oriented programming paradigm with low memory and CPU requirements (relatively speaking). The PE version includes a scaled down DB, while the NE edition includes the scaled down DB and network connectivity to its bigger brothers.

I don't have the prices handy, but I would guess:

Oracle7 PE $399.
Developer2000 $4k
Designer2000 $4k
Power Objects (price unknown)

I may have a couple of the facts wrong (or maybe more than a couple), so you might want to check out the www.oracle.com page and see for yourself. You can download a number of the packages for a trial period. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, wipe it off your machine.

Matt... Received on Fri Aug 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message