Hot Backup - Need for Rollback Segs

From: Larry Nudelman <LNudelm_at_unotes1.mnet.uswest.com>
Date: 1995/08/10

I am reviewing several Hot Backup UNIX Scripts that back up ALL! the DBFs and Control files. They obtain the list of dbf's from v$datafile, which includes the rollback dbf's. Based on all the restore notes, only data files, redo logs, archive redo logs, and control file are needed for either a partial or full restore. So why back up the Rollback dbf. I can't see restoring a RB tablespace from the hot back up if the OS file gets hit.

The rbs tablespace is about one-fourth the size of the entire database so if I can exclude it from the hot backup I could save a lot of time and space. Any comments on if I can / should exclude them.

Thanks,
Larry Nudelman, DBA
U S WEST MIS Received on Thu Aug 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message