Re: Can you store 1/10th of a second in a DATE field?

From: Praus <praus_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/08/09

The answer is no you cannot store a fraction of a second in the date field.
As a matter of fact you will find no functionality for this in the TO_DATE function which is the simple way to put the data in. To record even more detailed times, we ended up storing the fractions of a second in a separate
number field then writing a variety of PL/SQL routines which performed comparisons adn arithmetic. These seems like a weakness to me. As a matter of fact, Oracle ought to think about generalizing the date field so that
it can be parameterized like a NUMBER. That is you should be able to specify what portion of the date you need to store. Furthermore, many applications do not need to be able to store the date to the level that the
DATE format can. That is, I have no need to waste space so I can store a date in the year 1310 AD. Received on Wed Aug 09 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message