Re: Forms 4.5 with Adaptec SCSI

From: Jacob Love <jlove_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 1995/08/07

In article <4055m3$5f3_at_mars.ftech.co.uk>, Robert Pereira <robert_at_bytesize.ftech.co.uk> wrote:
>What version of Forms 4.5.??? I have found Forms VERY unstable
>When I developed with Forms 4.0.11 and 4.0.12 I found endless bugs/GPFs
>4.0.13 was a stable product which took Oracle 6-8 months to get out.
>I think that F4.5 will need another six months (Jan 96) before all the bugs
>have been ironed out. The SCSI problem - You must have had a SCSI driver in memory
>When Oracle tools are low on resources (ie. they havn't got 16MB RAM all to themselves)
>they tend to crash after a while - I don't think its your SCSI hardware - more like
>software SCSI drivers conflicting in memory.

I'm using Adaptec SCSI and Forms4.0 and Forms4.5 without serious problems. When I originally installed Forms4.5 I experienced frequent GPFs. The culprit turned out to be the interaction of Forms with my PC Tools shell. When running the Form within Designer, Forms Runtime was not surrendering resources back to Windows on return to Designer. After a number of debug cycles resources got too low and the machine crashed. I moved my Oracle Forms Design activity to the Program Manager and ceased using PC Tools as the underlying shell. I haven't had a GPF since, although I am quite irritated that I have to run PC Tools Desktop as an application rather than PM replacement. Since I'm moving to NT, that all becomes moot...

--
Jack F. Love