Re: HELP! on CASE install on Windows

From: Jeff Jacobs <jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/08/04

In <3vtg9k$657_at_caesar.ultra.net> droth_at_dr.ultranet.com (David Roth) writes:

>I am trying to install CASE6 on windows.
>
>Has anyone compiled a list of tips or hints for the install?
>
>I keep getting GPF's while trying to build packages.
>How do I get around this?
>
>Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Dave Roth

The following apply to 6.0.6 as well. BE SURE TO USE THE SQL*PLUS FROM THE CD-ROM -JJ

The following notes give more details about installing the Designer/2000
Production release ( Version 6.0.5 ) into Personal Oracle7.

You need to perform the following prior to installation:

alter table IDL_UB1$ pctfree 0 pctused 50 storage ( next 500K pctincrease 0 );
alter table IDL_UB2$ pctfree 0 pctused 50 storage ( next 500K pctincrease 0 );

create index access$_1 on access$ (d_obj#);

The Designer/2000 team have recently put a lot of effort into improving the installation and performance of Designer/2000 version 6.0.5 running against Personal Oracle7.

The following notes detail a series of simple steps to install Designer/2000
Version 6.0.5 on Personal Oracle7.

Please note that this information is targetted at the 6.0.5 release. The
version number of SQL*Plus and the number of repository objects may well
differ for the 6.0.6 release.

Installation

Using a benchmark machine of:

                                Toshiba 6600C
                                486 66DX2
                                32 Mb of RAM
                                500Mb hard disk
                                80Mb virtual memory.

we have developed and verified a straightforward installation method that
allows the Repository to install easily and reliably.

The key points are:

        i.      Use the correct version of SQL*Plus ( 3.1.2.2.6 )
        ii.     Configure the server as detailed below.

Following these two points should make the installation of Designer/2000
a simple case of invoking the Repository Administration Utility, and hitting the install button.

  1. Install Personal Oracle 7 ( Version 7.1.4 ), accepting the default installation.
  2. Install Designer/2000 ( Version 6.0.5 ), accepting the default installation.
  3. Install SQL*Plus version 3.1.2.2.6 from the Designer/2000 CD. (Use Custom install/de-install option, SQL*Plus is under CDE2 Toolset)
  4. Invoke Database Manager and create a configuration with: Log Buffer Size 128 Sort Buffer Size 512 Shared Pool Size 14000 Block Buffers 1000 Open Cursors 200
  5. Startup the database.
  6. Invoke SQL*Plus as System and run ALTER TABLESPACE SYSTEM ADD DATAFILE 'new filename' SIZE 60M REUSE; ALTER TABLESPACE ROLLBACK_DATA ADD DATAFILE 'new file' SIZE 10M REUSE; Create a user ( eg OBS ) with unlimited quota on SYSTEM.
  7. Invoke SQL*Plus as SYS and ruin GRANT EXECUTE ON DBMS_PIPE TO PUBLIC; GRANT EXECUTE ON DBMS_LOCK TO PUBLIC; GRANT EXECUTE ON DBMS_SQL TO PUBLIC; GRANT EXECUTE ON DBMS_TRANSACTION TO PUBLIC; GRANT EXECUTE ON DBMS_UTILITY TO PUBLIC;
  8. Invoke the Repository Admin Utility as the user ( eg OBS ) and execute 'Install Repository Owner', ignoring any warnings about the user's privileges.

Following these steps has resulted in numerous successful installations across a variety of different PCs.

However, it has been known for different brands/configrations of PCs to display dramatically different behavior from others, even when performing
something as straightforward as the installation detailed above. The following
diagnostics and rebuild scripts may come in useful.

Diagnostics

If you get an error message after the first import of step 8 concerning your database not having the Procedural Option, then check you have performed step 7 above.

A vanilla installation of Designer/2000 should contain the following number of objects.

select object_type, count(object_name)
from user_objects
group by object_type
/

OBJECT_TYPE COUNT(OBJECT_NAME)

------------- ------------------
INDEX                        144
PACKAGE                      311
PACKAGE BODY                 311
SEQUENCE                       6
SYNONYM                        1
TABLE                         89
TRIGGER                       16
VIEW                         211

During the installation of the API, memory or tablespace issues could cause
some of the package bodies to fail to load. It is perfectly safe to allow the installation run to continue, and run the script below to rebuild
any missing package bodies. The script prompts for orawin, and you should
enter the directory without a trailing backslash ( ie c:\orawin ).

set heading off
set underline off
set pagesize 400

select 'start '||'&&orawin_dir'||'\repadm10\'||ci_dir||'\'||ci_filename from ck_installed_objects ci
where ci_type in ('PACKAGE','PACKAGE BODY')

and not exists     ( select ''
                     from user_objects
                     where object_type = ci.ci_type
                     and   object_name = ci.ci_name)
and ci_filename is not null
/

spool create.sql

/

spool off

start create.sql

If the installation falls over or you abort it during the API install, then after running the output of the rebuild script you will need to run
the following:

define sdd_api_dir=c:\orawin\repadm10\api\ define sdd_ins_dir=c:\orawin\repadm10\ins\ define ck_ins_dir=c:\orawin\repadm10\ins\ define sdd_sql_dir=c:\orawin\repadm10\sql\ define ck_sql_dir=c:\orawin\repadm10\sql\ define sdd_utl_dir=c:\orawin\repadm10\utl\ define ck_utl_dir=c:\orawin\repadm10\utl\ define sdd_cnv_dir=c:\orawin\repadm10\cnv\ define ck_cnv_dir=c:\orawin\repadm10\cnv\

start &sdd_ins_dir.ckpkgbld.sql
start &sdd_api_dir.cdapitrg.sql
start &sdd_ins_dir.cktrg.sql
start &sdd_api_dir.resetapi.sql
start &sdd_sql_dir.cdapicom.sql
start &sdd_utl_dir.postimp.tab

You may find you have some invalid packages, to check run

select object_type, count(object_name)
from user_objects
where status = 'INVALID'
group by object_type
/

To compile them simply run

define sdd_sql_dir=c:\orawin\repadm10\sql\

start &sdd_sql_dir.cdapicom.sql

To see the nature of any errors type 'SHOW ERRORS PACKAGE <BODY> name', this will usually reveal the non-declaration of some depenency in this scope
(eg failure to compile RMDBG usually signifies that the user doesn't have
execute privilege on DBMS_PIPE).

Author: Mike Gwyer -  Designer/2000 Product Management
  INET: mgwyer_at_uk.oracle.com