Re: Disabling rollback. Is it possible?

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 1995/08/01

In article <3vj1mr$has_at_ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>, chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com (Chuck Hamilton) writes:
> Is there any way to disable rollback either on a single transaction or
> on the entire database? I can't tell you how many times during the
> design and testing phase of our data warehouse project that rollback
> segments have become a real pain in the neck! There are times that it
> seems like the database gets in our way more than it helps us and it's
> almost always to do with rollback segments.
>
> We are still at a point in our project where there are no users on the
> system. Just one developer. I don't know the proper terminology, but
> there's got to be some way to tell the database we don't care about
> rolling back transactions, or concurrency issues. Actually, even when
> the database goes live we won't care about this because it's a data
> warehouse, nothing ever changes except for one weekend per month and
> during that time the database will be inaccessible.

I haven't heard of any way to disable rollback segments and I doubt Oracle would provide one.

Workarounds:

  Design your warehouse tables such that you can TRUNCATE them and then   reload rather than doing DELETEs and then reloading. This can be   done by using individual tables for each 'period' and a VIEW over   the whole set of tables.

  Do your loads using SQL*Loader (which can do regular commits) or just   ensure that you have regular commits (every 1000 rows say) in your   reload routines.

  If loading data from one database to another then consider using the   SQL*Plus COPY command which also can implement regular automatic   commits in its operation.

Anybody else got any other warehouse ideas?

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras