Re: Difference between CHAR vs VARCHAR

From: Yves Raisin <ra_at_ofisa.ch>
Date: 1995/07/28

Hi george,
In Oracle7 CGAR data type mean fixed length data (the data will be padded with spaces is it's less than column size) and VARCHAR, VARCHAR2 are variable length data i suggest to you to always use VARCHAR2 data type. Yves
gbrown_at_partech.com (George Brown) wrote:

>What is the difference between CHAR and VARCHAR? I have had some problems
>with queries on CHAR that I had to solve by doing LIKE. I also could not
>develop a Forms 4.0 master-detail application using a CHAR data type
>relation; NUMBER worked fine...
>--
>George Brown Voice: 315-738-0600x250
>8383 Seneca Turnpike FAX: 315-738-8304
>New Hartford, NY 13413-4991 e-mail: george_at_partech.com

Yves Raisin                                     tel   : +41 21 341 81 11
Ofisa Informatique                              fax   : +41 21 341 84 57
Chemin des Charmettes 7                         e-mail: ra_at_ofisa.ch
CH 1003 Lausanne - Switzerland Received on Fri Jul 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message