Re: Raw device type for data files

From: Darryl Snedeker x52168 <dsnedeke>
Date: 1995/07/27

We too are using Raw devices to administrate a 200+ Gb database. While performance improvements have been recognized on our system in this past, the present and future implementation of RAID technologies are proving to pull their weight as well.

For the most part, we have associated symbolic links to provided the bridge between Oracle and the physical devices, in other words, it is the symbolic links which are used as the filename. In this respect problems can occur such as inadvertently having two distinct links (ie. database file names) pointing to
the same RAW devices. Since the two names are not the same Oracle is happy, that is until is needs to read/write from the physical device. You now have serious problems. How do I know this...guess !

I can provide more details if you wish. Best of luck

-D

Darryl Snedeker 		ph# (512) 602-2168
Senior Database Administrator	fax (512) 602-5018
Advanced Micro Devices		Austin, Texas