Re: [Q] Does Oraperl run with Perl5 ?

From: Tim Bunce <Tim.Bunce_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: 1995/07/26

In article <3v58t0$e7a_at_pong.lasc.lockheed.com>, Terry Greenlaw <z50816_at_mip.lasc.lockheed.com> wrote:
> In article <3v45p0$2i6_at_ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>, rsingh_at_ix.netcom.com (Rashpal Singh) writes:
> >
> > Does anyone know if Oraperl will run
> > under Perl5, or should I stick with Perl 4.036 ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Use DBI and DBD/Oracle with Perl5 for Oracle7 access.
> It comes with an Oraperl emulation package, and has quite
> a few improvments over the original.

Er, reality check! It's still an unstable alpha release which is currently significantly slower than Oraperl 2.4. Whilst I greatly appreciate your enthusiasm it's not really ready for production use.

Just for the record, here's my standard blurb:

---
Perl4 oraperl will not work with Perl5.  A new database independent
standard interface is being developed for Perl5.

An oracle module which uses that interface is also being developed. The
oracle module includes an oraperl emulation interface. Other database
drivers will be developed over time.

Alpha releases of this software are available from ftp.demon.co.uk in
/pub/perl/db/ but are not recommended for production use at this time.

For more information and to keep informed about progress you can join
the perldb mailing list by sending a message to
perldb-interest-request_at_vix.com (it may take a few days to be processed).

All discussion related to this work should take place on the mailing list.
---

> DBI and DBD can be found at: ftp.demon.co.uk:/pub/perl/db/
>
> You need the latest DBI distribution plus the DBD code for whichever
> RDBMS you happen you be running named Oracle since that's the only
> one currently supported ;-} (actually, I think DBD/Msql may be out there
> by now, as well)
>
> Thanks to Tim Bunce and everyone else who have made this AMAZING Perl5 addon.

[blush]
> Terry Greenlaw (on-site _at_ Lockheed) Encompass Technologies
> z50816_at_mip.lasc.lockheed.com greenlaw_at_entech.is.net
Tim.