Re: Oracle DATE datatype storage.

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 1995/07/25

Randy Fought <FOUGHTRL_at_CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU> writes:

> We don't care about the hour, minute and second and we have
>many dates to store. This seems quite wasteful to store this in
>seven bytes when it could be done in four. Is there a way to internally
>store the date in four bytes?

If you're concerned about wasting storage space, you might as well abandon Oracle and most other RDBMS packages, because they all trade disk space (which is very cheap and still getting cheaper) for performance and other considerations, such as modularity.

I once compressed a nearly full Oracle tablespace, it was reduced to about 10% of its uncompressed size.

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.com, nolan_at_inetnebr.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)