Re: SQL*Net TCP/IP and SQL*Net SPX - coexist peacefully?

From: Philip C. Blain <blain_at_shell.com>
Date: 1995/07/22

From: Axel Roehken <axel_at_ubis.de>
Date: 18 Jul 1995 14:15:08 GMT

... 'Understanding SQL*Net', one of that docs shipped ... says that IPX and TCP/IP can coexist together in one SQL*Net network. Any combinations of the sup. protocols should work, they (ORACLE) promised me.

V6 and V7 shouldn't disturb each other. V6 uses SQL*Net Vers.1 and V7 uses SQL*Net Vers.2. But no experiences ...
<<<<<

I have had no problems having SQL*Net 1 TCP/IP and SQL*Net 2 TCP/IP running together on the same host/clients and networks. This includes running both against a V6 or V7 kernel. (HP-UX, SunOS, Solaris, DOS/Windows, AIX, VMS). SQL*Net II TCP/IP does take a bit more effort to configure, but SN I and II use different ports. I kind of like having SN I up at first so that if (or when) I trash my SN II configuration I (and others) can still reach Oracle.

I have had difficulty with the same host/clients and SQL*Net SPX and TCP/IP coexisting (even if I didn't want to use the TCP/IP for a particular time). This was with NetWare/Windows; I had no trouble with SQL*Net SPX by itself.

Thanks, -phil-

P.s. - We have noticed that in some cases the SN II config files are parsed rather "strictly". I have however, been able to "tailor" their appearance, and SN II could still read them. Received on Sat Jul 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message