Re: SQL*Net expire_time parameter

From: Roderick Manalac <rmanalac_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/07/20

rblizard_at_bb.cmcsys.com (Bob Blizard) writes:
|> I am trying to figure out how the SQL*Net V2 parameter
|> SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME works. I know that I can set a value in minutes for
|> it, and that it uses tcp's keepalive to check for a connection and
|> keep or kill the connection.
|>
|> What I don't know, and haven't seen explained clearly, is this; If my
|> PC crashes and I reboot and reconnect within the time of my
|> expire_time parameter, Will SQL*Net know that my PC went away? In
|> other words, does it check using session or process id, or simply
|> using ip address?

A TCP/IP expert might be able to provide the technical details, but SQL*Net (and TCP/IP) should be able to detect that your PC has rebooted because the TCP/IP connection is identified by more than just the IP address. Think about how TCP/IP would deal with the case where a client has two concurrent sessions open to the same server machine (fairly common in a Unix <-> Unix environment).

|> I am hoping it is the former, since we need to be able to kill dropped
|> connections which may have row-level locks on them from SELECT... FOR
|> UPDATE statements. If it is the latter, people would have to stay
|> completely off until after the expire_time passes.
|>
|> Any input on this gratefully accepted.
|>
|> --
|> Bob Blizard rblizard_at_cmcsys.com | All these worthwhile
|> CMC Systems, Inc. | opinions are mine, and
|> 175 Littleton Rd Westford, MA 01886 | not necessarily CMC's...
|> Ph (508) 392-1300 Fax (508) 392-1303 |
|> "If you want to park in the first row of life,
|> you must go there to look for a space."

Hope this helps.
Roderick Manalac
Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Jul 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message