Re: PL/SQL Error Report?

From: Marc de Brouwer <mbrouwer_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/07/20

Frampton Steve R (3srf_at_qlink.queensu.ca) wrote:
: Hello:

: I am just learning PL/SQL, and am trying to create a function. My
: .SQL file (with create or replace function...) "compiles with errors".
: I was wondering what those errors are, and how I can see them (I did
: a search on all disks for an error file to no avail).

: Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Steve,

functions compile within the server, not on a file basis. Therefore, the errors are also stored in the database.
Assuming you are using SQL*Plus to run your .SQL file, try typing "show errors" (without the quotes) on the prompt after your function is created with compilation errors.
The database view containing your compilation error messages is called USER_ERRORS. There is also an ALL_ERRORS view. This is consistent with a lot of other views of which there are USER_*, ALL_* and DBA_* variations. Check out the Application Developers Guide for a list. Hope this helps you out.

Greets,

Marc.

  • These are MY OWN opinions, not Oracle's.