Re: Windows Sockets v 1.1 as tcp/ip transport for client

From: Dave Mausner <dma956_at_lulu.acns.nwu.edu>
Date: 1995/07/17

In article <3uebfp$6u2_at_caesar.wits.ac.za>, Alan Osborne Facilities-(ext 3594) <020alan_at_PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_DOMAIN_FILE> wrote:
>I am having difficulty getting my client (Oracle dev 2000 on windows 3.1 )
>running sql*net v2.1.4 to connect to my server running sql*net 2.1.6.
>
>The problem seems to be with the client i.e. no connection from client
>to server (netstat and lsnrctl). The server will connect loopback with
>connect string but my client doesn't, it returns with error ORA-12545.
>The error seems to point to an unresolvable host name in the address list
>of the tnsnames.ora file.
>
>Our suppliers claim that Windows Sockets v 1.1 is not a valid tcp/ip transport
>eventhough it is selectable in the tcp/ip adapter install option.

They are wrong. sockets is supported by Oracle. You must install SQL*Net TCP adapter for the kind of sockets you are using. The sockets dll must be accessible via the path. The host name must be resolvable either by a nearby domain name server or by a local hosts file. You must have a local copy of tnsnames.ora and it must correctly identify the tcp port number used by the listener on the host.

>Winsock works fine for telnet, ftp etc. I can connect to my host via it's
>name i.e I don't have to specify ip address or full machine name.
>
>My sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora files are OK (I believe).
>
>I cannot get it working in fact I can't even get a trace file out of the
>client. The ping test dinna work either.
>
>Am I doing something wrong or should I be looking at alternatives to
>Windows Sockets v1.1.
>
>Does somebody have this configuration working?

I do, otherwise i wouldn't be such as smartass ;-) If telnet works and sql*net doesn't then the problem is sql*net. Check oracle.ini: it should contain the parameter TCP_VENDOR=WINSOCK .

--
dave