Re: Convert EBCDIC to ASCI II, Idea's

From: Peter Sylvester <peters_at_mitre.org>
Date: 1995/07/13

In article <3u1vsr$293_at_clarknet.clark.net>, cjwarweg_at_clark.net (Christopher J. Warweg) wrote:

> I work with large databases in a PC enviornment. I need to find software
> or some other method to convert EBCDIC to ASCI ii so that my PC database
> package can import it. ( I use paradox, foxpro, and access but none can
> import EBCDIC). My email is CJWARWEG_at_clark.net
>
> Any help is much appreciated, hopefully I can reciprocate.

If you have FTP available on your mainframe, and perform a transfer to your PC in ASCII mode, the conversion is done automatically. I'm assuming that all of the data is in textual form (no binary numeric data), otherwise you have to handle that separately. You could also easily write your own converter, as its just a 256 character lookup table. Somewhere I have the info needed to do this, but its on paper - I'd have to go digging for it. Mail me if you'd like a fax.

--
Peter Sylvester
MITRE Corp.