Re: ORA 01401 error inserted value too large for column

From: Peter Moore <pt_at_chaff.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/07/06

In article: <333981103wnr_at_rossuk.demon.co.uk> Rod Green <Rodgr_at_rossuk.demon.co.uk> writes:
# We are getting this error. I have debugged the program code but cannot
# find which column is giving the error.
#
# I tried producing a trace file to see if that helped, but it does not
# show where the error occurred, or not that I can see.
#
# Any ideas

Is it me or did those other posters miss the point??

Yup, ORA-01401 (and many other errors) is _very_ unhelpful.

There is an enhancement request on file with Oracle to add a TABLE.COLUMN_NAME descriptor to these messages.

So, yes, you have to trawl through your code comparing variable/field sizes with column widths to make sure you don;t have a mismatch - have fun! :)

HTH Pete