Re: Refering to tables outside your schema - HELP!!!

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1995/07/06

In article <3tet9c$8fe_at_shark.sb.grci.com>, Walter Marek <wmarek_at_grci.com> writes:
|> Frans & Margot <fmeeren_at_iaehv.nl> wrote:

|> >Hi,
|> >
|> > ORACLE 7 Server Concepts Manual
|> > Chapter 18: Privileges and Roles
|> > Paragraph : DDL Statements and Roles
|> >
|> >Bye,
|> > Margot
|> >
|> Margot,
|>
|> The above para refers to executing DDL statements using SYSTEM privileges
|> granted through roles. I am refering to the fact that stored procedures
|> ignore DML statements using OBJECT privileges granted through roles.
|>
|> -- begin rant --
|> I suppose it is possible that if they had a crystal ball, someone like
|> Tom Kyte would be able to figure it out just from the concepts manual.
|> I am not saying that I have every manual memorized, but I have read most
|> of them and searched the on-line documentation CD and nowhere, that I
|> have found, does it explicitely say that stored procedures ignore
|> OBJECT privileges granted through roles.
|> -- end rant --
|>
|> Walt
|> wmarek_at_grci.com
|>
|> P.S. Margot, please do not take this as a personal attack against
|> yourself. I thank you for trying to help. If you or anyone can cite an
|> example of what I am looking for, I would like to hear about it.

Take a look at the Application Developer's Guide, Chapter 7, page 7-10. This is the chapter on 'Using Procedures and Packages', talks about the privileges required. The basic idea here is that all roles are disabled inside stored procedures, packages, functions, and triggers. This is due to a variety of reasons, mainly because roles can be disabled on a session by session basis, and procedures are invalid or valid on a database-wide basis. Note that this applies to object privileges, and also system privileges if you are using the DBMS_SQL package. Received on Thu Jul 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message