Re: Exponential numbers in table?

From: Marc de Brouwer <mbrouwer_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/07/05

Glenn Schuette (schuette_at_pyro) wrote:
: Is there a way to create a table containing numbers in scientific
: notation (with exponents)? I would like to have one column in
: a table handle numbers from 1E-9 to 1E+9, without defining it
: like this
: create table t1
: ( x number(19,9) );

: If I do create a table with many numbers like this, what are the
: trade-offs in performance or space?

: --
: Glenn Schuette
: schuette_at_ti.com

Check out the SQL Language reference manual, chapter 2, on the NUMBER datatype. It discusses the FLOAT datatype, which is probably what you are looking for. Performance is hardly an issue, since all numbers are stored in the same format, regardless of scale. The precision is the only factor which determines the required storage space. The scale is only used for rounding.

Hope this helps,

Marc.

  • Standard disclaimer applies: these are MY opinions, not Oracle's.