Re: Help wanted

From: Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_DaytonOH.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/07/05

Well, there's not really enough info here but I'll try and point you in the right direction. First, you will need SQL*Net on the client side also. PATHWORKS with TCP/IP would indicate that you might be able to go either DECNET or TCP/IP???

You don't mention which version of SQL*Net you're using. V1 and V2 are set up differently and use different connect strings. Assumming V1.x on both client and server you would connect through SQL*Plus with something like the following:

if you're using DECNET substitute a D: for the T:

For SQL*Net V2.x, you would set up a service name in a file called tnsnames.ora and then connect as follows:

        sqlplus <user>/<pass>_at_<service_name>

This is very rough and you should get the details from the SQL*Net documentation for the version you are using and, assuming you're using ORACLE V7.x, look in the Server Concepts manual for additional info.

Good luck, Jim Gregory
==========Gerald Hansink, 7/3/95==========

Question about SQL*Net:

How does a client connect to a remote Database? e.g. we have a RS6000 with Oracle7, SQL*Net is (properly??) installed according to the listener control software. But we're wondering how to connect over the network to the database. The documentation only says something about the server side, but nothing about SQL*Net.

We use PATHWORKS TCP/IP to connect to our Unix-server.

Help would be appreciated.

Grtx Gerald Received on Wed Jul 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message