Re: Oracle Data Browser

From: Simon Thompson <scthomp_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1995/07/04

In message <3t1m0v$969_at_aplinfo.jhuapl.edu> - Dave Berstein <david_berstein_at_jhua pl.edu> writes:

Based on my (Windows Browser) V1.0 knowledge:

:>1) Can you define the Browser user interface so that a user can only
:> look at information in specific tables? (i.e., design the report
:> to only view certain columns, instead of an entire table, limit
:> Browser acces to only specific tables, etc.)

If you mean they can't ever see columns, you could do this via views, roles, etc. If you men they can view all coulmns, but you only want specific ones shown on the output, then yes.

:>2) Can you use the Browser to print the results of database query
:> without having to view the report generated, therefore using as
:> a means to print database contents?

Yes. You can run it with command-line parameters so that it creates the query, prints the report, then exits.

:>3) Does one need to run the Browser as a separate process? Or
:> can it be used somehow in conjunction with your database
:> application?

It is a separate program.

:>In the application were designing we need the capability to view and
:>print message logs which are kept in the database. The Browser seems
:>like a utility that might be useful for this.

I use the Browser frequently. The main use of our database is ad-hoc queries. So far I have found the Browser to be very good. I don't like SQL*Reports. Most of our requests don't require reports complexity. Now I have Paradox connected, I use that where appropriate.

It can also help in writing SQL. You can create the query, then copy the SQL it creates to the clipboard and paste it into a file. You can verify it does what you want first.

Simon Thompson
Christchurch
New Zealand Received on Tue Jul 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message