Oracle6 to Oracle7 data migration

From: Stefano UNTERNAEHRER <unter_at_mecati.mecasoft.ch>
Date: 1995/07/03

Hello folks!
We have an HP 3xx server with Oracle Version 6 installed. On this server we have an Oracle database with tables owned by a user.

We also have an HP 7xx server with Oracle7 installed. On this server we have an Oracle database (with different name) with tables (with different names) owner by a user (with different name). This tables at this moment contains no data, and are identical as the tables in the Oracle6 database, but with different names. For every table is a public synonym available defining the old table name for the new table. This new tables are better designed (constrainst names, foreign keys definition, storage, etc etc).

Now the problem... :-)
I have to transfer the data from the V6 database to the new one. Is a simple export in V6 + import in V7 possible? Note that the database name is changed, as well as the tables' owner name. Others solutions???

Thank you for any suggestion!
Stefano

\  Mecasoft SA        |         Oracle DBA         | fax:    +41 93 335 507  /
 \ 6600 Muralto       |     and  PL/SQL, Pro*C     | voice:  +41 93 337 444 /
  \                   |     C, XWindow & Motif     |                       /
  /                   |     Software Developer     | email:                \
 / Switzerland Europe |____________________________|  dba,unter_at_mecasoft.ch \