Freeing space in the system tablespace

From: M. Thomas <mthomas_at_iu.net>
Date: 1995/07/03

What causes the system tablespace to become full besides stored packages/procedures/functions? We have our tables, rollback segments, indexes and users default and temporary tablespaces created in OTHER tablespaces....Haven't added any stored packages in a long time -- but I noticed my system tablespace in our development db is down to 5M. (Sized at 50M)

I had some users drop stored packages they weren't using and it didn't increase the free space one bit. Oracle Support said it must not have been enough to free up one extent.

Before I add a datafile or recreate the db with a larger system tablespace, I want to understand what is causing it to grow. Is there anything else I can monitor to potentially clean up to free up space? Would a full system export and import alleviate the problem?

Thanks,
Mary Thomas (mthomas_at_iu.net) Received on Mon Jul 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message