Re: as400/Oracle

From: Paul Anderson <panderso_at_ca.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/06/29

pberger_at_nic.hookup.net (Paul Berger) wrote:
>In article <3sp7o1$ivq_at_news.tpp.com>, <tbellavia_at_riatax.com> wrote:
>>
>>Oracle sell's a tcpip gateway for the as400. It's a combo appc and tcpip >>implementation. I have used with a good success rate. C=
 ost about 15000 per >>machine and that can be neg. You can install it in about 10 mins.

>>Tom Bellavia
>>RIA Corp
>>Valhalla, N.Y
>>914 749 5323
>

>Are you telling me the gateway product is that easy to install! We
>went courting Oracle on this one and they wanted this that and
>the other thing before we go ahead with the whole process. We did
>eventually consider bringing Oracle expertise in. Eventually we
>just abandoned the whole process.
>
>What exactly do you require on the AS/400 and on say a Novell file Server
>in our case? I am very interested in your feedback.
>
>PB
>Berger Software

Actually the gateway IS easy to install. It will depend on the protocol that you choose what is required, but the gateway itself goes in quickly.

If you're going with a TCP/IP implementation, then you will need IBM's TCP/IP product for the AS/400. That's about it for other products. Of course O7 on the Netware box and SQL*Net V2 are a requirement as well. As long as the AS/400 is correctly configured for TCP/IP (and that's not hard) then the whole install shouldn't take too long.

If you're going with APPC, there's no requirement for any other product on the AS/400 since APPC is supported natively. However on the Netware box you're going to require Netware for SAA. Again you will also require O7 on the Netware box and SQL*Net 2 for APPC.

The difference between TCP and LU6.2 is the amount of configuration required. LU6.2 requires a fairly detailed knowledge of the protocol and it can be difficult to configure if you don't know the environment. That being said, once it's in, it's in and works extremely well. TCP/IP is much easier to configure. Received on Thu Jun 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message