Re: Refering to tables outside your schema - HELP!!!

From: Patent Pending <firstname.lastname_at_ab.com>
Date: 1995/06/27

tamdy_at_aol.com (TAMDY) wrote:
>We are trying to refer to a table that exists in a different schema,
>without
>prefixing it by the schema name. These are the steps we are taking.
>
>1. First we create a public synonym on the table.
>2. Next we grant select, update, delete and insert on the table to the
>role
> DEVELOPER.
>3. We have already granted the role DEVELOPER to user USER.
>4. When USER runs her PRO*COBOL program which calls PL/SQL which
> refers to this table by its synonym, she gets the error
> ORA-00942 Table or view not found
>5. If we make the table PUBLIC, the program runs successfully. However,

<stuff deleted>

Try selecting in SQL*Plus first as USER, this is usually the first step in debugging before we get to PRO*COBOL. Then make sure the owner of the table and the synonym is the schema that performs the grant. Otherwise you could be granting on the synonym when you really want to grant on the table. Received on Tue Jun 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message