Re: [Q]: Renaming columns in a table ?

From: Larry Fishman <larryf_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1995/06/26

Chuck Hamilton (chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: In <3skisf$36e_at_scsing.switch.ch> MHEJTMANEK_at_clients.switch.ch (MICHAEL
: HEJTMANEK) writes:
: >
: >In <3skdqh$mtb_at_ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> rsingh_at_ix.netcom.com writes:
: >
: >>
: >>
: >> Is is possible to rename a column in a table ?
: >>
: >> Thanks in advance.
: >
: >
: >
: >No. You need t get the data out. Drop the table. Rebuild the table
: >(with new col names) and then put the data back in.
: >
: >P.S.
: >You may get answers that say yes because it is possible to screw with
: >the internals and change column names. Do not do this!

: One other option is to rename the table and then create a view on it
: using the old table's name as the view name. When you create the view,
: use a column name alias for the one that you want to change.

: From what I understand, a lot of shops do this anyway as a means of
: controlling table access. That is... never giving anyone access to any
: actual tables, just to the views created on the tables.

Have you had any problems or know of any problems in doing this? I see the list of exceptions on 2-13 of the Applications Developer's Guide. Anything outside of this? performance, practical use of etc.