Re: VB Options for Oracle Access

From: John Fruetel <jfruetel_at_ainet.com>
Date: 1995/06/25

jctripp_at_tiac.net (Jon Tripp) wrote:

>Hello All,

>I am trying to come up with a list of the available options for accessing an
>Oracle database (v7.1/Sql*Net v2.0) with Visual Basic. The three methods I
>have seen are:

> ODBC (slower than I'd like)

This isn't as slow as you think. ODBC is actually a pretty fast interface. If you call ODBC.DLL directly (instead of using the pathetically slow and strange Microsoft Jet engine), performance will probably be fine. We've been doing this for quite a while and we've been very happy with it.

> Access (I don't know much about this but it strikes me as
> overkill)
> OLE Objects (I've seen mention of this recently. More info
> would be greatly appreciated.)

This is probably okay, but we've never used it. I talked to one of the Oracle people about this at VBITS 95, and I thought that it sounded pretty neat. At least the Oracle guy I talked to agreed that MSAJT20.DLL(sp?) a.k.a. JET pretty much stunk and OLE Objects was basically an attempt to get around this stinkiness.

>Are there any other options that are available? How do they perform? How can
>I get them?

Stay away from bound-controls. We used Q+E Multilink for a while until we calculated the amount of overhead that at least this product put on our queries. We're talking MEGABYTES of pure overhead for certain types of bound controls.

John Fruetel
jfruetel_at_ainet.com Received on Sun Jun 25 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message