Full Export Hangs Oracle and Entire Machine

From: Andrew McAllister <mcallister_at_grad.missouri.edu>
Date: 1995/06/19

This weekend I tried to do a full database export. I got to a big table and the machine just froze. Hard disk light was on solid. No drive noise (other than spinning). Couldn't telnet, login, ftp, attach to Oracle. Couldn't kill the instance, or even get a ps command to run. Had to power off the machine.

After rebooting, I then tried just a user export. Same thing; big time system hang. This time it was a different table, different schema.

Here's the system info.
Oracle 7.0.16.6.0 Production
Running in Archive Log mode. Archive disk has about 100 megs free. SQLNet 2 over TCP/IP
Platform: Unixware 1.1.2 (SVR4 Unix on Intel) No other software running on the machine except ftp, telnet, httpd (not connected to Oracle).

Hardware: P90 Intel (not buggy chip)
RAM 96 megs
Swap 196 megs.
Disk space 3 * 1 gig with about 1 gig free.

Any ideas are welcome.
Andy
Andrew McAllister -- mcallister_at_grad.missouri.edu Office of Research, University of Missouri-Columbia The views above are my own, and NOT those of my employer. Received on Mon Jun 19 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message