Re: Images in Forms4

From: Roger Mathisen <ROGER_at_benoni.nbr.no>
Date: 1995/06/19

In article <950619$101915$3461SHutchin_at_ventnds1.telecom.com.au> Scott Hutchinson <SHutchin_at_ventnds1.telecom.com.au> writes:
>From: Scott Hutchinson <SHutchin_at_ventnds1.telecom.com.au>
>Subject: Images in Forms4
>Date: 19 Jun 1995 00:06:35 GMT

>Hi all,
>I'm considering using Forms4 as the front end to an Image display system with
>images up to 10mb in size (average size around 100k).

>The time required for Forms to display the image is extremely slow.

>Does anyone have any experience with Images in Forms4 ????

>Scott Hutchinson.

Forms 4.0 is virtually useless when it comes to handling pictures. The 64k limit on records fetched into blocks, along with poor compressor/decompressor algorithms and no PL/SQL handling, makes image handling a terrible effort. Forms 4.5 however provides you with decent abilities to view images stored in the database. It can eg. read GIF, JPEG and TIFF from columns in database tables. Still no PL/SQL support though. Furthermore I have not tried out loading images in the Mb range, so I don´t know how well F45 handles this. The 100k images should be OK though.

You`ll have to create a table containing a long_raw field to hold your images.

When commiting images to the database from a form, the only format allowed is Oracle`s own undocumented picture format.

The best way to get images (and other binary objects) into an oracle database is using PRO*C. Writing a relative simple program you are able to insert the images into the DB in the image format you prefer. The program could be standalone or an Oracle Forms user exit. Running PRO*C from a DOS based PC limits the max image size to 64K, whereas the limit on an Unix plattfrom equals the 2Gb DB limit on LONG_RAW fields.

Using F40 you´ll have to write another user exit to show the image if the format is not oracles own. F45 can, as mentioned earlier, also read and show a number of other formats from the DB.

If you are storing the images directly on your file system, Forms have built in functions to read and write several image formats. Again, F40 has the 64K limit which makes it virtually useless.

Roger. Received on Mon Jun 19 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message