Multiple Table Query in Forms 4.5?

From: Nikolay Kumanov <Nkumanov_at_msn.com>
Date: 1995/06/19

This is a rather newbie question. I have a master - detail tables and my CEO
wants to query the master records for which details with particular data
exist. I have come up with several solutions, but would like to know whether
a more clever and easier one exists.

  1. Have the CEO query the detail block, write down the key and then query the master. Good one, but I will have to prepare my resume in advance and besides, he wants a mixed query - both on master and detail records data.
  2. Make a view which joins master and detail tables. This will make it nonupdatable unless I bother to write transactional triggers and in some cases it will return the master records multiple times (once for each detail record that satisfies the condition)
  3. Create control items in the master block and construct the WHERE clause myself. This will place two separate items in the form for querying and viewing (the detail blocks should be multi-record!). Besides it will be not so straightforward to implement querying not only on equality. If I do not found a better solution, I will stick with this.

Any help from you Oracle
gurus will be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Nikolay Kumanov Nkumanov_at_msn.com

First Private Investment Fund
Sofia, Bulgaria Received on Mon Jun 19 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message