Re: 2G limit on tablespaces

From: Mark Bluemel <markb_at_pyramid.com>
Date: 1995/06/16

Gordon E. Hooker (gordonh_at_acslink.net.au) wrote: : cgohring_at_reebok (Carl Gohringer) wrote:

: >robertp_at_crux.csis.dit.csiro.au (Robert Andrew Power) writes:

: >: I've just installed Oracle 7.1.6 on a SPARC 20 Dual Processor
: >: with a 6Gb Storage Array running Solaris 2.4.
: >:
: >: When I create a tablespace of size 2048M it fails, but if I
: >: create one of size 2047M everythings fine.
: >:
: >: Is there a 2G limit on creating tablespaces in the documentation and
: >: I've missed it - or is somethng weird going on with my installation?
: >:
: >: Robert Power
: >:

: What is ulimit set to for your UNIX systems...
: There is also a limit for some versions of UNIX that can't seek over 2
: GBytes.

AFAIK, most UNICES will not support files over 2 Gbytes in size, due to a "feature" (use of signed long integers for addressing). If you wish to have datafiles larger than this, I suggest you use "raw" devices", thereby bypassing this limitation.

--
Mark Bluemel	Unix/Oracle Trainer and Consultant
		My opinions are my own, but I'll share them