Re: Failure to extend rollback segment

From: Noah Monsey <noah_at_indirect.com>
Date: 1995/06/13

billy_at_mars.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Billy Chambless) wrote:

>In importing some fairly huge tables, I'm getting the following
>messages:

>/* begin Oracle messages */
>. . importing table "WDB_600M_CST"
>IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1562 encountered
>ORA-01562: failed to extend rollback segment (id = 3)
>ORA-01650: unable to extend rollback segment R02 by 150 in tablespace
>RBS
>IMP-00028: partial import of previous table rolled back: 2126 rows
>rolled back

>/* end Oracle message */

>I'm having a hrd time grasping the section on managing rollback segments
>in the Administrator's Guide; what exactly do I need to do here?

>Another error I'm getting is:

>ORA-1652: Unable to extend temp segment by 520 in <tablespacename>

>Neither 1652 nor 1562 shows up in the error codes book.

>Help!

 The problem unable to allocate extent, simply means that  you do not have enough space available inside of you  tablespace where the rollback segment resides.

 One solution would be to add a datafile to that tablespace.

 A better solution would be to create a tablespace for  rollback segemnts. Then create a few large rollback  segments in the new tablespace.

 I allways create a tablespaces for rollback segments,  temporary segments, and user data with each new  database. That way the system tablespace does not  get used unless neccessary. Then I alter all of the users  to use the correct tablespaces.

  • ========= ========= ========= ========= Noah Monsey noah_at_indirect.com
  • ========= ========= ========= ========= The only dumb question is the one that you don't ask.
  • ========= ========= ========= ========= Oracle Master Database Administration, April 1992 Oracle Master Application Development, April 1992