Re: Multi rows and colums reports

From: David Roth <droth_at_dr.ultranet.com>
Date: 1995/06/06

jstarwoo_at_haven.ios.com (Jim Starwood) wrote:

>Loh Kir Chern (mcblohkc_at_leonis.nus.sg) wrote:

>: I am using Oracle Reports V2.0 and wish to produce a report such that
>: both the number of rows and columns are not fixed. Example :

>: Student 1 Student 2 Student 3 .........
>: History xxx xxx xxx
>: Geography yyy yyy yyy

>: In this case, the number of subjects and name of students are not fixed,
>: ie. the number of students and courses offered year by year can be different.

>: onto an ASCII file (spool), and then download to Excel for final touching
>: up. My table construct may look like :

>At the risk of being deemed an SQL wimp, My solution is to drop the
>straight into the ASCII file and use the cross tab feature in Excel 5.

>It's not worth bothering with manipulation if the total result set falls
>under 16K rows.
>Jim Starwood I like a chromatic love affair...
>jstarwoo_at_haven.ios.com one half-step at a time.

I agree with Jim but not because of size.

Matrix reports are farily compilcated and the Report V2.0 layout editor is primitive. Report V2.5 is much better.

If you do want to go ahead with Reports 2.0 the query is very simple.

SELECT student, course, marks
FROM grades_table
order by student, course; Received on Tue Jun 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message