NT vs. UNIX (another)

From: Tom Gonterman <tombgjr_at_sky.net>
Date: 1995/06/01

Our organization's Personnel Department has recently committed to purchasing a "client-server" HRIS system (PeopleSoft to be exact). It is now my responsibility to get it implemented. The first issue I must address is the DBMS environment. We have concluded that we will have to run Oracle as the DBMS but we are undecided on what hardware/software platform to install it.

We would love to install an Intel-architecture DB server (Compaq Proliant) and Windows NT because these are the products we are familiar with and prepared to support. We are concerned this may not give us the performance we need. Has anyone worked with a similar type of configuration or done any benchmark testing between NT / UNIX or Intel / RISC architectures?

I know these are involved questions and any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Federal Reserve Bank KC
Tom Gonterman (tombgjr_at_sky.net) Received on Thu Jun 01 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message