Re: DBA : what's the manpower you need to do the job?

From: David Roth <droth_at_dr.ultranet.com>
Date: 1995/06/01

fjbolata_at_info.vub.ac.be (Frank Bolata) wrote:

>We are going to start moving to a client/server environment. We've still
>not decided what database to use (oracle, sybase, MS SQL server, informix).

>One of our concerns is the time that has to be spent on database adminstration.
>Could you please inform me what kind of manpower you need to do the job?
>Is there much difference between the different DBMS's and between Windows NT
>and UNIX, qua DBA manpower?

>thanks for helping us out,

>Frank.

The DBA job can be part time or can require a whole department! How big is your database? How many users? How active? How much downtime is available for backups? Can you afford to lose any data? How much? Any special security/audit requirements?

The list of questions goes on and on and all need to be answered before you can really scope the DBA job. Note that they all should be answered before you choose a database. If you pick the wrong one for your environment everything changes including the magnitude of the DAB job. Received on Thu Jun 01 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message