Re: Oracle and Microsoft Access

From: Henry Harrison <hharriso_at_tdc.dircon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/06/01

CBarsam (cbarsam_at_aol.com) wrote:
: Is oracle able to use the same SQL statement that Access has or is there a
: translator to use oracle with access.

: Thank you

Presumably you're going to connect to Oracle using ODBC?

If so, once you've attached an Oracle table to Access, you can use it within Access exactly as if it were a native Access table.

The complexity comes when you're doing queries and want to ensure that the query processing occurs on the server rather than on the client. I haven't had the opportunity to investigate the situation in depth, but Access seems at least reasonably clever in what it submits to the server. Of course, if you use any Access-specific structures (such as Access functions) in your SQL then it will pull back ALL THE ROWS from your table on Oracle in order to perform the query on the client.

Not usually much fun.

I don't know of any tools that allow one to analyse a query to determine how it will be executed between the client and the server - anyone?

Henry Harrison Received on Thu Jun 01 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message