Re: OCI/Pro*C Method for ALTER SYSTEM

From: Stefan Richter <Stefan.Richter_at_Materna.DE>
Date: 1995/06/01

/In article <3q37oo$g59$1_at_mhafc.production.compuserve.com>,
/71670.2470_at_CompuServe.COM says...

/All,
/I'm posed with a problem. I have a particular middleware product
/that likes to leave dead processes around with connections to
/ORACLE. I've written a Pro*C program that checks the IP address
/and sends a ping (ICMP ECHOREQUEST) to the machines and if they are
/indeed turned off (PCs), then it kills the associated process on
/the server. What I'd like to do, and I've attempted this with
/Pro*C to no avail, is to have this program issue an ALTER SYSTEM
/KILL SESSION 'sid, serial#' first, and then kill the process.
/Pro*C doesn't allow me to do this (as ALTER SYSTEM isn't supported
/in Embedded SQL). My options is to attempt this in OCI (the ALTER
/SYSTEM method).

/Here's my 2 questions...
/a. Can this be done with a kill signal to the oracle process...
/ I don't want to send a KILL -9 to the process.
/b. OR can this be done using OCI and just calling ORACLE directly
/ and issuing the ALTER SYSTEM method which I'd like to use.

/Thanks for any replies

/Darrin

Did you also try "ALTER SYSTEM" by using PRO*C Dynamic SQL?

Stefan Received on Thu Jun 01 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message