Re: Need advice: small system platform & dba responsibilities

From: Randy Dewoolfson <randyd_at_cais3.cais.com>
Date: 1995/05/27

Gail Padden (fxgwp_at_galileo.uafadm.alaska.edu) wrote:
: We will develop a small multi-user system to replace an obsolete single
: user system on Dbase. Appx 10-12 tables, appx 60k records/year, normal
: daily posting 60 trans, max users 10. Platforms possibly current novell
: server or an HP9000. Preferences lean towards Oracle because our major
: systems will soon be Oracle based (new). There are several small local
: systems using other db's (foxpro, etc). I'd like a rough estimate for
: time & knowledge required for dba responsibilities. Any advice on
: platforms will also be greatly appreciated!

: Thank you,
: Gail Padden
: fxgwp_at_galileo.uafadm.alaska.edu

If you're used to DOS (DBase) then I would definitely say go Novell. A 486 or better server with 16MB or more memory should easily handle your load, and you'll get good file and printing services as well. Also it's easy to administrate.

You should get real help from a good qualified consultant when setting up your system. If this step is done right, then your DBA efforts can be minimized. You will need to watch the system all the time. It doesn't sound like you have a mission critical application to support. Your level of DBA expertise will need to match the amount of down time you can afford.  i.e. not so good DBA = Longer Down Time (Potential) etc. You can also spend effort in automating some of the DBA tasks that will be required. Like purging old records, scheduled EXP/IMP cycles, backups, etc. The hard part will be tuning and design in the first place...

Good Luck
Randy

--
  ?$""`?i      .          x"                .uu   I     Randy       I
   >  'M  d$    `E  M   "$$  Mux~    n!"          I     |o o|       I
   k   `h '     '  ""    `   z"     *             I=ooO==(_)==Ooo===I