Re: Batch Sql vesrus Forms procedures

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 1995/05/25

In article <3pv1st$jh9$1_at_perth.DIALix.oz.au>, scorbett_at_perth.DIALix.oz.au (Steve Corbett) writes:
> Anyone see any disadvantages to using Forms V3 to run PL/SQL scripts that
> are imbedded in Forms procedures (run the form in batch/background mode)
> as opposed to have a SqlPlus script?
> It seems to me by using Forms you have better
> debugging features and can use other
> procedures as subroutines, whereas in SqlPlus you have to have
> one long script that is only debugged by running it.

Not only the debugging facilities but you can use DBMS_PIPES with looping capabilities and user exits and many more things than just straight SQL*Plus.

I haven't played with it BUT our application developers are looking at BATCH Report managers which consist of SQL*Forms sitting in a batch queue on our VAX and spawning or submitting other users reports to run on the VAX while the user is actually a client connected PC way off in Woop-Woop. Results from reports are then EMailed to the client or sent directly to their local printer.

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras