Re: Spaces loaded as nulls

From: Erlend Flaa <erlend_at_oslonett.no>
Date: 1995/05/25

andrewv_at_devvax.mincom.oz.au (A. Vellnagel - Advanced Technical Services - MINCOM) wrote:
> "When loading from an ACSII file to Oracle, 'spaces' in the ACSII file
>get translated to 'nulls' in the Oracle data set. The guys here have written
>an SQL script that goes through the file converting all the nulls back to
>spaces. Is there a switch or something that can be set so that the spaces are
>in fact loaded as spaces."

> I'm not sure what these guyss are using to do the loads (ie. what
>utility, cobol program, c program .......). They are running Oracle 7 on an
>OpenVMS box. Any thoughts?

> Thanks in Advance,
> Andrew Vellnagel.

In my experience SPACE does not automatically transforms itself into NULL. I suggest you check out the load utility they are using.

But, if they are inserting new records in the database, what about adding defaults to the columns in question?

alter table <mytable> modify <mycolumn> default ' '.

It may be worth a try :-). Erlend

Erlend Flaa                          Email: erlend_at_oslonett.no
Uniba Data AS, Colbjornsens gt.2,N-0256 OSLO, NORWAY Telephone: +47 2256 2650 Telefax: +47 2255 6850

All standard disclaimers apply, I think, probably...yes! Received on Thu May 25 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message