Re: Oracle 7 and double quotes

From: pconnors on BIX <pconnors_at_BIX.com>
Date: 1995/05/13

John Moriarty <jmm_at_wiis.wang.com> writes:

> I tried to export some tables from an existing MS Access database
>to an Oracle 7 database using Access's Export capability. Unfortunately,
>Oracle 7 interprets its own identifier quote char(double quotes) as
>part of the tablename and columnnames. Table junk becomes table
>"junk". Column p_key becomes "p_key" and so on. Queries performed
>on the table junk return "table/view does not exist". Is it possible
>to turn off this double quote "feature" so that junk = "junk" ?
>Any other suggestions/solutions are welcome.

> thanks for any info,

> John Moriarty

Having never seen Access, I don't know the answer to this: Are the table/column names coming out of Access all upper-case?

If they are mixed or lower case, Oracle is storing them as mixed/lower case because the names are in quotes. You can select them by enclosing them in quotes, like this:

create table "Foo" ... (etc)

select * from foo (won't work; Oracle converts to uppercase) select * from "Foo" (will work, quotes defeat case conversion)

The solution to your problem is therefore to either:

  1. strip the quotes out of the Access export file (could be risky; I've never seen Access) or:
  2. Make sure all Access table names are all upper-case.

   Hope this is helpful. Let us know how it all comes out!    -Pat Connors Received on Sat May 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message