Re: FETCH Troubles!

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1995/05/11

In article <slittle-0505951445340001_at_iplink116.crocker.com> slittle_at_rmc1.crocker.com (Scott J. Little) writes:
>Hi,
>
>This is my first posting to this newsgroup, but I've got a weird problem.
>I've written a report in Pro*C using embedded SQL. I go through all the
>proper steps (just like I have a hundred times before):
>
> DECLARE myCurs CURSOR FOR
> SELECT blah, blah, blah...
> ORDER BY 1, 2, 3;
>
> error checking
>
> OPEN myCurs;
>
> error checking
>
> FETCH myCurs INTO
> :hostVar1 :indVar1,
> :hostVar2 :indVar2;
>
>Seems correct, yes?
>
>Well I keep getting the following error when I run it:
>
>ORA-01630: max # extents (101) reached in temp segment in tablespace TEMPORARY
>
>ERR-ERRSTMT: Error occurred on following statement:
> SELECT SIRASGN_CRN,SIRASGN_PIDM FROM SATURN.SIRASGN,SATURN.SSBSECT,SAT
>%SYSTEM-F-ABORT, abort
>
>There is no way. The select is only supposed to return *** 10 *** rows -
>that's all. In fact if I take the select statement and run the exact
>statement in SQL*Plus I get my results back in no time flat.
>
>I can't understand why there would be such a great discrepency between the two.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>sjl

Sounds like you have an administration problem. Which platform are you on? Some platforms have limits based on how the tablespace is defined. See Oracle Server Concepts Manual on extents, temporary segments and assigning a users temporary segment tablespace. You may have to recreate the tablespace, or drop the offending table (which may not be the one you are working on) and alter user.

"See your DBA."

--
Joel Garry           joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com            Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.