Re: PL/SQL Package size

From: Don Vick <dvick_at_lanier.com>
Date: 1995/05/08

In article <3ogj5v$m71_at_viper.is.rest.tasc.com>, William D. Carey <careywd_at_jupiter> wrote:
>I am currently working on a project which is doing a lot PL/SQL
>procedures stored in packages. These packages run in to thousands
>of lines. Has anyone heard of any guidelines or recommendations for
>package size? Have you any real world experiences you can share? I
>would appreciate any feedback you can give me.

I haven't worked with PL/SQL enough to know what is considered a "good" size for a package, but in general when a piece of code gets that large, I start looking for some common functionality in the code that can be abstracted into a separate supporting package. This usually results in fewer total lines of code, and often makes it easier to understand the code, make it more robust, etc. Over time, you tend to develop a library of low-level support packages that can be reused in many applications.

Donald E. Vick (dvick_at_lanier.com, dvick_at_crl.com) Voice: (404) 493-2194 Fax: (404) 493-2399 Received on Mon May 08 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message