Few very BASIC Q's - pls not let to die :)

From: Rashid Karimov. <rashid_at_haven.ios.com>
Date: 1995/05/07

        Hi there folx.

	I have a few Q's about - very basic ones , I think ,
	but I wasn't able to find answers myself ( I do have
	some expirience with different RDBMS ) , albeit I
	tried real hard ( all books on ORACLE we have here
	in NYC were tried ) .

	OK.

	1.
	As I got , one can have more than 1 database , which is
	a _physical stuff and carries tablespaces ( SYSTEM is
	the only one which is created automatically ),tables
	themselves and redo/control files.

	Is it possible to have more that 1 database opened in the
	same time on the same computer ( I use ORACLE 7.0.16
	under SOLARIS 2.4) ?  How ?

	Can one( the same ) instance serve multiple databases ? Or you have
	to start an instance for every database you want to
	open ?
	The SGA area - does it serve all mounted/opened databases or
	there is a SGA per database ?

	What's init****.ora file ? You have to create/customize
	one for every new database ?

	2.
	The database which is created during the installation -
	does it have any special meaning ? In other words ,
	shoud you _always open/mount it for ORACLE to work ?
	Is it mounted automatically ?
	Help/error messages for different ORACLE binaries -
	are they stored in that database ? Or binaries are
	able to access some files with that stuff w/o actually
	working with ORACLE ?

	3.
	The oratab file - what's its purpose ? Can one add
	the entries to that file to get new databases be
	opened/mounted automatically ?

	4.
	When one creates new database/s - does it modifies
	some ORACLE ( system ) tables ?
	In other words - to remove a database - is it enough
	just to remove all associated physical files ? After
	which ORACLE forgets about that database completely ?

	I'm sorry for these Q's - for some guru they should seem
	really stupid - but I need the answers to get peace in
	my mind :))

	Personal E-mail would be appreciated

Rashid

--

               Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young
               In the world of magnets and miracles
               Our thoughts strayed constantly and without boundary
               The ringing of the division bell had begun ...
                        -=PF, The Division Bell=-