Re: FETCH Troubles!

From: Johannes Reitermayer <h8751814_at_obelix.wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: 1995/05/06

slittle_at_rmc1.crocker.com (Scott J. Little) wrote:

>Hi,

>This is my first posting to this newsgroup, but I've got a weird problem.
>I've written a report in Pro*C using embedded SQL. I go through all the
>proper steps (just like I have a hundred times before):

> DECLARE myCurs CURSOR FOR
> SELECT blah, blah, blah...
> ORDER BY 1, 2, 3;

> error checking

> OPEN myCurs;

> error checking

> FETCH myCurs INTO
> :hostVar1 :indVar1,
> :hostVar2 :indVar2;

>Seems correct, yes?

>Well I keep getting the following error when I run it:

>ORA-01630: max # extents (101) reached in temp segment in tablespace TEMPORARY

>ERR-ERRSTMT: Error occurred on following statement:
> SELECT SIRASGN_CRN,SIRASGN_PIDM FROM SATURN.SIRASGN,SATURN.SSBSECT,SAT
>%SYSTEM-F-ABORT, abort

>There is no way. The select is only supposed to return *** 10 *** rows -
>that's all. In fact if I take the select statement and run the exact
>statement in SQL*Plus I get my results back in no time flat.

>I can't understand why there would be such a great discrepency between the two.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i'm not an expert on this subject but this does not sound like a problem with your sql statement. i suppose to check the size of your temporary tablespace. did you execute your program and sql*plus session under the same user_id (as you will already know each user can be assigned a temporary tablespace) ? also try to execute your program without the 'order by'-clause (the temp segs will be used for ordering...). if this also does not help try to modify the maxextents and pctincrease parameters.

hope this helps

by the way: i suffered similar problems with rollback segments when using the 'for update'-clause. Received on Sat May 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message