Re: Oracle reports 2.x (x < 5) slow?

From: <ljames_at_EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV>
Date: 1995/05/01

In article <25APR95.11227057.0204_at_UNBVM1.CSD.UNB.CA> "Andrew Jones (lrpr_at_unb.ca)" <LRPR_at_UNB.CA> writes:
>From: "Andrew Jones (lrpr_at_unb.ca)" <LRPR_at_UNB.CA>
>Subject: Oracle reports 2.x (x < 5) slow?
>Date: 25 APR 95 10:23:43 AST

> We are currently running Oracle reports 2.0.14 on
>PC's in client-server mode. The PC's have 8 MB RAM, and windows
>swap files of 20 MB (contiguous). We are running a forms 3.0 app
>which calls the reports; we observe a delay of 3.5 minutes between
>the call to the report driver and the first line of our code being
>executed! Is this normal? Is there any way to leave the reports
>"set-up" in the background, so the lead time is reduced? Does Oracle
>reports 2.5 reduce this substantially? How about Crystal reports? Any
>other products.

Reports 2.5 has a 'report server' that will run in the background and wait for you to pass it a report to run. There is also a CDEINIT that will pre-load DLLs.

The biggest delay in 2.0 is loading the multiple meg executable into memory and connecting to the DB. You should consider getting more memory if you are calling reports from forms. Forms takes 5+ meg by itself so you are most likely to be paging when you call reports.

Lawrence.... Received on Mon May 01 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message