Re: Print via Local Printer Telnet To UNIX ?

From: Ian Jacob <i-jacob_at_nimr.mrc.ac.uk>
Date: 1995/04/24

I have had a similar requirement in the past. I solved it as follows:

Convert some (or all) of the local printers to network printers and attach to the Netware 4 server. The biggest issue here is the cost of a network card for the printer. HP do a JetDirect card for there own printers and now have a box that allows any printer to be 'visible' to a network. It incorporates a JetDirect card which has its own network address.

Next, buy some software called Flex-IP to run on netware 4. Set up a print queue per printer. The queue will be used on the UNIX setup.

Finally, configure your UNIX box. Each printer that you want to seperately print to will need its own print queue. It should be configured such that it redirects its output to a remote server and print queue (HP9000 boxes do this very simply - I dont know about your box).

This may seem like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but with Flex-IP being relatively cheap, it does provide for a flexible printing setup between a UNIX box and a Novell network running different protocols to allow PC office products and UNIX printing to share the same peripherals.

For a quick and dirty solution, consider using FTP on a PC to copy the files from UNIX to the PC. Then print.

2.
In article <3nf79b$laj_at_nuscc.nus.sg>, mcblohkc_at_leonis.nus.sg says...

>Dear World,
>
>Background
>----------
>
>I have developed an Oracle application using Forms 4.0.13 and Reports
 2.0.14
>on a SGI UNIX (Onyx) box. The application would generate some reports.
 My
>network OS is Novell Netware 4.0.1.
>
>Scenario
>--------
>
>My users would be accessing the application via their desktop machines
 (PC
>or Mac) using X-emulators. Every front end machines (ie the PCs and
 Macs) has
>a local printer attached. So, what setting is necessary to redirect the
 output
>(reports are in postscript format) from the UNIX box to the local site ?
>Is there any settings to be done on Oracle or Netware or SGI or
 X-Emulators ?