Re: force use of an index - how to?

From: Dave Boswell <bd860_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 1995/04/22

In a previous posting, Telerate Asia-Pacific) Ltd. (tlrapro_at_hk.net) writes:
> If I can't choose my column to be stored via an index in descending order,
> would i get the same effect if I have the following:
>
> (Assume Table A has a column x that has values generated by a sequence
> number in descending order. Withouth an index, the rows of column x probably
> is in descending order.

*no*, this assumption would only seem to hold true for a new table that has all new records inserted. If the table was cleared by a DELETE from command the order is still unpreditable. The simple rule is don't assume any order unless the index is used or you have included an order by clause, because in most cases there will be no order.

Dave Boswell Received on Sat Apr 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message