Re: Problem with database link from Oracle Ve

From: TSChqisten <tschqisten_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/04/21

My understanding of index usage when using public (or private) database links is that it doesn't happen. Remote databases, especially large ones, are dangerous (in my experience) in terms of performance because indexes don't work across links.

I believe that the reason behind this is that the client db must retrieve all rows from the serving db before it can use the data in a join.

You may want to shadow the offending table back into your oracle6 installation for reporting purposes and index it there. Could you drop & recreate it nightly in your 6 db, using the same space parameters so you don't fragment your tablespace?

Just some suggestions.....
Tim Christensen (TSChristensen_at_trw.com) Received on Fri Apr 21 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message